April is National Volunteer Month and April 17-23 is National Volunteer Week.
Our specially trained volunteers are available for companionship, errands, spiritual support and respite care.
“The National Volunteer Week theme for 2022, Volunteering Is Empathy In Action, affirms the strong connection between volunteerism and empathy,” said Amber Wallace, volunteer coordinator. “Our Harbor Hospice volunteers graciously give of their time to sit with our patients and their families in their most vulnerable moments. The empathy they show is an inspiration for us all. During National Volunteer Week 2022, we celebrate the many contributions of our volunteers: their actions, their understanding, and their genuine concern for the patients they serve.”
All Harbor Hospice volunteers go through a comprehensive training. During the training, they see the many ways that volunteers throughout the organization help by providing countless talents, skills and helping hands.
Our trained volunteers are given the opportunity to choose how they would like to help including
- Trained hospice therapy dogs provide “window visits” at homes or our Poppen Hospice Residence
- Grocery shopping weekly to keep fridge and shelves stocked at Poppen
- Providing bereavement phone calls to follow up with families following a death
- Sending cards and making phone calls to continue to connect with patients
- Providing phone calls or visits to patients to have their life stories documented and shared
- The Leila & Cyrus Poppen Hospice Residence grounds continue to look beautiful due to the efforts of our volunteers
- Seasonal place mats are made to brighten mealtime for our patients at Poppen
- Creating comfort by sewing lap blankets and busy aprons for our patients
If you are interested in becoming an instrumental part of our team please call us today at 231.728.3442 / 1.800.497.9559 or contact us through our online message system. Thank you.
We love our volunteers. Thank you for all you do every day!